Renewable Energy, Climate Change and Sustainable Development
Climate Change – At Nextera our team has extensive knowledge and understanding of climate change issues including the international conventions, regional initiatives, programs and activities. We constantly review new climate change policies, strategies and international agreements to gauge the level of required national compliance. We are well versed and current in planned national actions, mitigation, adaptation and resilience in order to remain current. Mr Herrera our Lead Consultant has many years of local and international experience in climate change and climate supportive sustainable development projects including renewable energy.
Our diverse team have the skills, experience and competency to provide public sensitization and awareness building, policy advice, research and organization of data, programme management, change management and technical consultancy services. Nextera has already undertaken major commissions in climate change and related studies on behalf of the government and its partners including preparation of the National Reports to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), National Reports to the United Nations Framework Convention to Combat Desertification (UNFCCD) and the National preparation for the REDD+ project among others.
We have offered comprehensive and insightful services on the following climate change projects:
- Planning and management of the first carbon sequestration project in Belize on the Rio Bravo Conservation and Management Area
- Extensive training in climate change issues throughout Central America and designated a trainer of trainers in climate change
- Preparation of the National Capacity Needs Assessment to determine the country’s capacity to meet its obligations under the International climate Conventions
- Preparation of the National Report on the Potential of the Forest Sector to Combat Climate Change
- Extensive experience in planning for and implementation of renewable energy projects as carbon reduction projects to mitigate against climate change
Renewable Energy – Renewable energy can provide greater energy security and profitability for developers. We have extensive experience in planning for and implementing renewable energy projects as carbon reduction projects to mitigate against climate change. We provide advice and guidance to help our clients identify the best renewable energy opportunities. Our service encompasses the complete lifecycle of renewable and low carbon energy technologies.
Nextera specializes in the following renewable energy services:
- Renewable energy capacity studies
- Site identification and feasibility assessment to determine the best sites, design layouts and energy yields
- Due diligence and economic appraisal taking into account factors such as project design and construction, contracts, technology selection, energy yields, grid connection and planning analysis
- Project development including planning, permitting and compliance support for energy projects, providing a wide range of technical capability such as landscape and visual assessment, GIS, ecological and ornithological assessment, hydrology, geology, transportation, acoustics and cultural heritage
Examples of Renewable Energy, Climate Change and Sustainable Development Projects led by Nextera/Allan Herrera
- REDD project review, World Bank
- Quantification of the Remaining Wind Resource on the Forestry Commission – England and Scotland Estates, Forestry Commission, UK
- Tesco Stores Renewable Wind Energy Development Project, Tesco Stores Plc.
- The Potential of the Forestry Sector in Central America to Mitigate Climate Change, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Second National Report to the United Nations Framework Convention to Combat Desertification (UNFCCD)